The western districts are separated from the rest of Warsaw by railway lines, so getting there requires extra effort and is not easily achievable on foot or by bike. As not many tourists actually do that, the tourist infrastructure is almost nonexistent, save for the cluster of hotels close to the Chopin Airport.
Ursus (Latin: bear) was the brand name of tractors manufactured there, but it soon superseded the real name of the locality, which was Czechowice. Ursus is a formerly industrial district that is turning residential.
Bemowo mainly consists of prefab residential highrises built around the Powstańców Śląskich street and the adjacent general aviation airport, a part of which is also used for mass events. The name comes from Józef Bem.
- The main streets parallel to Vistula in Włochy are: ul. Żwirki i Wigury, ul. Grójecka-al. Krakowska and Al. Jerozolimskie.
- The main streets perpendicular to Vistula in Włochy are: ul. Sasanki-ul. Hynka-ul. Łopuszańska-ul. Kleszczowa and ul. 17 Stycznia (adjacent to the airport).
- The principal street that goes through Ursus is al. Jerozolimskie.
- Main streets in Bemowo are: ul. Powstańców Śląskich, ul. Połczyńska, ul. Górczewska, ul. Lazurowa, ul. Radiowa and ul. Wrocławska.
- Tram termini in Bemowo: Boernerowo, Os. Górczewska.
- There are railway stations Warszawa Ursus and Warszawa Gołąbki in Ursus
- The bus and tram terminus Okęcie despite its name is far away from the airport (apparently this is the reason why the airport was recently renamed). The airport is served by bus routes 175 , 188 and 611 and the terminus name is Port Lotniczy.
- Obviously anybody landing at Frederic Chopin Airport will be visiting Włochy per fiat, but not many will even take notice.
Fortificationsthat constituted the Warsaw Fortress in the 19th century. Four of them were preserved:
Fort IV Chrzanów
Fort III Blizne
Fort IIA Radiowo
Fort Paddress: Bema
Sports and Recreation CentreSwimming pools at ul. Oławska 3 and ul. Brygadzistów 18, sports hall at ul. Obrońców Tobruku 40.
address: ul. Księżycowa 1Parachuting, gliding, ballooning, etc.
- If plane-spotting tickles your fancy, a good spot is next to the runway end by the Obi supermarket. Most plane-spotters will choose the other end of the airport grounds in the Ursynów district though.
address: ul. Traktorzystów"Designer outlet" for high-street brands, both upscale and popular.
- If you happen to travel by car, you my take advantage of the big box retail along Aleja Krakowska.
- Infrequent occasional parties in the industrial park at Instytut Energetyki, ul. Mory 8.
Fort Wola Campingphone: +48 22 634 41 65address: ul. Fort Wola 22
Gromadaphone: +48 22 825 43 91address: ul. Żwirki i Wigury 32A campsite.
phone: +48 22 6500 100address: ul. Zwirki i Wigury 1The Courtyard is right at the airport terminal, convient if want to go to bed right after late arrival or have to catch a very early flight
phone: +48 22 575 6000address: ul. 1 Sierpnia 1
phone: +48 22 456 8000address: ul. Komitetu Obrony Robotników 24
phone: +48 22 863 48 21address: ul. Dźwigowa 43