West Tisbury is a town on the west coast of the island of Martha's Vineyard. It is the longstanding agricultural area of the island, and, of late, one of the fastest growing.
- State Rd., leading "up-island" (which is actually south) from Vineyard Haven (leading thence further up-island to Chilmark and Aquinnah).
- Edgartown-West Tisbury Rd., leading west from Edgartown.
- Martha's Vineyard Transit Authority has a number of routes traversing West Tisbury. Several originate and can provide direct access from the Steamship Authority bus stop at Vineyard Haven. In addition, in West Tisbury, the parking lot on State Rd. which contains Cronig's Up-Island Market, the West Tisbury Post Office, and Fella's Take-Out acts as a secondary hub for busses further up-island to Chilmark and Aquinnah, as well as for trips cross-island to Edgartown (going by the Martha's Vineyard Airport).
- West Tisbury is an excellent spot for bikingmany roads (including State Rd.) have bicycle paths.
phone: +1 508 693-0309Stoney Hill Road. Free tours of the winery are offered from Memorial Day to Columbus Day, seven days a week, and wines can be sampled in the tasting room. Wine and specialty foods are offered for sale year round, including holiday wine and food baskets at Christmas.
Martha's Vineyard Glassworksphone: +1 508 693-6026address: 683 State RdThe studio produces and sells an unmatched variety of fine quality hand-blown glass while featuring internationally renowned artists in the gallery. Recognized for it's open studio; the public is invited to watch master craftsmen create beautiful objects in glass.
phone: +1 508 693-8831Indian Hill Rd. (off State Rd.).
- Lambert's Cove Beach, Lamberts Cove Road (can take either "up-island" or "down-island" intersections with State Rd. on Lambert's Cove to get there--roughly about halfway or 2 miles on either entrance, roughly across street and up a bit from Cottle's Lumber). Beautiful white-sand beach, about 1.2 miles long. Fairly child-safe--as it faces Vineyard Sound, can be a bit on the brisk side. Will require a resident permit to park at site on-season, and may require a per-day walkon permit for non-residents, at peak hours. No permits, parking regulations, etc. before June, after August, or after 5:30PM even on-season. On-season permits available at West Tisbury High School on Old County Road. Bus (Vineyard Transit Authority Lambert's Cove route from Vineyard Haven steamship terminal will stop right at beach parking lot. Take 1/8 mile sand path from parking area.
- Seth's Pond, Lamberts Cove Road, about 1 mile from "up-island" intersection with State Rd. Lovely fresh-water swimming, small boating, and fishing pond about 1/3 mile in diameter. Side of road only has 4 legal parking spaces which get heavily contended for on-season. Bicycle or bus (Vineyard Transit Authority Lambert's Cove route from Vineyard Haven steamship terminal) provides unimpeded access.
West Tisbury Farmer's Marketsphone: +1 508 693-0085State Rd.(between Grange Hall and Playground). Mid Jun-mid Aug. Sa 9AM-12PM.
Alley's General Storephone: +1 508 693-0088State Rd. just up from Edgartown-West Tisbury Rd. Oldest continuously operating retail store (since 1858) in region. Can buy essentials, tools, and curios here, or just hang out on the ample porch on the swing chair and watch the world pass you buy and the locals chat on State Rd. Absolutely worth a stop if you're biking by on State Rd.--there aren't many stores like this left, anywhere.
Garcia's Bakery & Deli @ Back Alley'sphone: +1 508 693-8401address: 1045 State Rd
phone: +1 508 693-2298address: Lamberts Cove Rd
Fellas Take-Outphone: +1 508 693-6924address: 479 State RdBakery and sandwich/pizza take-out. Open 6 days a week. A few picnic tables outside the establishment and around the plaza parking lot if you want to eat on-site. Highlights: breakfast sandwiches, pizza (served until about 7PM on Fridays), lunch sandwiches and coffee.
phone: +1 508 693-8582address: 688 State RdReal four-star fresh cuisine in West Tisbury. One of the best restaurants on the Vineyard. Breakfast and lunch is kept at a reasonable price to be able to draw in locals. BYOB.
As West Tisbury is a dry town, no alcohol is stored in any restaurant, nor is any sold in any stores. The only towns on Martha's Vineyard that do have beer, wine, and liquor sales are Edgartown and Oak Bluffs. In West Tisbury, as in the other dry towns on island, virtually all eatieries will allow you to BYOB--some will even provide a service to have your beer or wine delivered at the establishment from one of the liquor stores in Oak Bluffs.
phone: +1 508 693-2298Lamberts Cove Rd, ). 15 rooms. Season: $210-$325. Off-season $175-$270.
phone: +1 508 693-5354State Rd. $110-$150.
phone: +1 508 696-8028address: 1070 State Rd
The Old Parsonage Bed & Breakfastphone: +1 508 696-7745address: 1005 State Rd
phone: +1 508 696-7186629 Edgartown-West Tisbury Rd.
phone: +1 508 696-1973address: 572 Edgartown-West Tisbury Rd
phone: +1 508 693-2665address: 525 Edgartown-W Tisbury RdOpen late May through early October.