White River (Mpumalanga)
Sourced from Wikivoyage. Text is available under the CC-by-SA 3.0 license.
White River (Mpumalanga) is in Mpumalanga.
White River in Mpumalanga province, is a small farming and holiday town. For international travellers it is mainly interesting as a base of stepping stone for visits to the Kruger National Park, Panorama Route and Eswatini (Swaziland).
Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport, 15km from White River, is served by South African Airways with flights to O.R. Tambo Johannesburg (JNB), Cape Town (CPT) and Durban (DUR). There is no public transport to and from the airport, but private transfers can be organised.
Several bus shuttles service White River from Johannesburg, including O.R. Tambo International Airport:
- Lowveld Link has daily minibus shuttles departing from White River Lodge (Arrivals: M-Sa 18:35, Sa 16:30, Su 15:00 and Departures: M-Sa 07:00, Su 11:00) stopping in Mbombela, Pretoria, OR Tambo International Airport, Sandton, Hatfield Gautrain Station and Lanseria Airport. Shuttle to OR Tambo cost R410.
- LimeTime Shuttle has two daily minibus shuttles to and from OR Tambo International Airport departing at 05:15 and 10:15, arriving at 09:20 and 14:30. From OR Tambo shuttles leaves at 10:15 and 15:45, and arrive at 14:00 and 19:30. Shuttles cost R410.
- Translux (+27 861 589-282) has weekly transfers from Johannesburg to White River (Caltex Garage) every Friday. Departure 08:00, arrival 15:10 for R190.
Shuttles from Johannesburg to Mbombela:
- Greyhound (+27 13 753-2100)has daily buses from Johannesburg to Mbombela, departing at 09:00 and arriving at 15:30. Another Greyhound line connects leaves Maputo (Cotur) at 07:00 and arrives in Mbombela at R10h45.
- Intercape (+27 21 380-4400) has two daily buses from Johannesburg to Mbombela, departing at 07:30 (R330) and 22:00 (R410), arriving 12:25 and 02:50 respectively.
- Citybug (+27 861 33-4433) has six daily shuttles (R440) from OR Tambo Airpot in Johannesburg to Mbombela, departing and arrival times are 08:00-11:30, 10:45-14:30, 12:30-16:00, 14:00-17:00, 15:30-19:00 and 18:00-21:30.
To and from Hoedspruit:
Thula Seats ( +27 13 751-1553) provides shuttles from Mbombela (Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport) to Hoedspruit (R400) with stops in White River and Hazyview (R250). Departure between 13:00 and 13:30.
The N12 and N4 motorways are the main access from Johannesburg to Mbombela (340km, approximately three hours and a half). White River is then an easy 20km drive on the R40.
Public transport is limited to minibus taxis which are unpractical for most travellers. The best option is to organise a rental car from the Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport and Mbombela.
phone: +27 12 482-9111address: Numbi Gate, Kruger National ParkSeek the charismatic african wildlife in South Africa’s largest park.
phone: +27 83 446 0228address: R539Large limestone caves.
phone: +27 83 675-8833address: Casterbridge Lifestyle Center, Corner Numbi Road and R40 to HazyviewLocal contemporary art.
phone: +27 13 751-3894address: Casterbridge Lifestyle Center, Corner Numbi Road and R40 to Hazyview
phone: +27 83 675-8833address: Casterbridge Lifestyle Center, Corner Numbi Road and R40 to HazyviewSouth african products, good for souvenir hunting. Range includes home ware, decoration, fashion jewellery and items for kids.
phone: +27 13 705-2102address: Casterbridge Lifestyle Center, Corner Numbi Road and R40 to HazyviewDaytime café and restaurant with courtyard under mango trees.
Gum Treez Pub & Grillphone: +27 13 750-0334address: Casterbridge Lifestyle Center, Corner Numbi Road and R40 to HazyviewSouth African and home-cooking type food. Includes secure playground area for children.
Magnolia Restaurant & Cocktail Loungephone: +27 13 751-1947address: Casterbridge Lifestyle Center, Corner Numbi Road and R40 to Hazyview
Picasso’s Mexican Taqueria Restaurantphone: +27 13 750-0300address: Hazyview Road, Bagdad CentreGood mexican food and drinks.
phone: +27 84 582-9466address: Lowveld National Botanical Garden, Madiba Drive, MbombelaEat at the restaurant or phone ahead to order a picnic basket and enjoy it by the river or under a shady tree.
phone: +27 13 751-1951
phone: +27 82 560-5073address: 66 The Oaks Rd
phone: +27 76 697-4886address: Plot 55, Old Plaston Road
phone: +27 13 750-0479address: Pine Lake Drive, White River Country Estate