Sourced from Wikivoyage. Text is available under the CC-by-SA 3.0 license.Yzerfontein is a fishing village on South Africa's Western Cape, which typifies the natural beauty and simplicity of the area. It is known for its west coast hospitality, long beach, spring flowers and beautiful views.
By carFrom Cape Town take either the N7 highway and exit towards Darling or the more scenic R27 along the coast. Follow it until you find the turn-off to Yzerfontein. Passing the lime kilns you will see that there are three ways to go:
- turn left and you will be taken past the petrol station to Pearl Bay
- driving straight and you will pass the tourist office, the harbour, Yzerfontein point, Schaap Island and eventually end up at Pearl Bay, too.
- turn right and you will go to the beach.
By planeAs the nearest airport is in Cape Town you will need to drive from there.
- All-year-round, fynbos can be seen flourishing in Yzerfontein; however in the spring the village is smothered with a variety of stunning wild flowers; the dunes & veld in and around Yzerfontein are massed with brightly coloured indigenous flowers.
- Archaeological digs in Yzerfontein have found remains of food and tools left by ancient people, who inhabited Yzerfontein. They hunted antelope such as reedbuck and the extinct Cape Zebra and Bloubok, and also dined on shellfish, penguins, cormorants, tortoises, dune mole rats, snakes and ostrich eggs. However, they didn't seem to feast on the Yzerfontein's bounty of fish.
- The climb to the top of Pearl Bay Heights on the southern end of Yzerfontein is well worth the effort. On a clear day there is a stunning view of Table Mountain and Dassen Island.
During the day-time, "the Droograk Deli" in Villa Fontana is a small but very efficient place to eat breakfast or lunch and offers a never to beat Sunday lunch . Enjoy your meal to be treated in personal attended service by owners Jan and Ida Visser.
The Gullsphone: +27 22 451-2264address: 16 Pikkewyn CrescentLuxurious, light and airy! Magnificent sea view. Spacious en suite accommodation. Bedroom and sitting room in one. Sleeps 2 people. The sliding doors open onto your own balcony from which you can enjoy the beautiful sunsets over the sea. In season you may even spot whales in the bay and pelicans flying overhead. For your convenience we have provided a small fridge and basic crockery and cutlery suitable for snack meals and take a ways (no cooking facilities in the room). Bedding and bath towels are provided. Situated less than a kilometer from the famous Sixteen Mile Beach.
- About 10 km due west of Yzerfontein is Dassen Island, known for its birdlife and penguin colony.
- Darling is 23 km inland from here. Follow the R307.