BhalukpongAssam and Arunachal Pradesh in India.
Part of Bhalukpong is in Assam and part in Arunachal Pradesh. The place remains highly under-explored. It lies on the Tezpur–Bomdila route (52 km/32 mi from Tezpur and 100 km/62 mi from Bomdila). All tourists visiting Arunachal Pradesh through the Tezpur–Bomdila route have to show their ILP/PAP at the check post here. Although lodges are available in the Assam part of the town, you still need to have an ILP/PAP to visit the parts of town in Arunachal Pradesh.
From Tezpur, taxis and buses run to Bhalukpong. Any vehicle going to Bomdila from Tezpur will pass through Bhalukpong. Alternately, one can come over to Balipara (20 km/12 mi from Tezpur) and catch the buses that ply on the Itanagar-Bomdila route and alight at Bhalukpong.
Bhalukpong is a small town and can be covered on foot. Alternately you can hire one of the taxis standing at the taxi stand just past the check post to take you around.
- Bichum reservoir
- Pakke Tiger Reserve also known as Pakhui Wildlife Sanctuary and Pakhui Tiger reserve is a 862 sq. km. (332 sq mi) wildlife sanctuary. Tourists can either go on a day trip or even better can stay at one of the forest lodges for which booking should be made in advance. Note that tourism is not much developed in this area and even locals will not know much about getting inside the reserve. It is advisable to contact local forest office at either Bhalukpong or Seijosa for arranging night stay inside the reserve well in advance.
- Tipi Orchid Research Center Around 6 km (4 mi) from Bhalukpong check post, Tipi Orchid research center is home to over 450 species of orchids. The best time to visit the center is in April-May when orchids are in full bloom. A to and fro taxi journey should not cost more than ₹300-400 in total.
There is a nice restaurant inside Prasanati tourist lodge campus, with an excellent view of the mountain and river. Tasty food prepared in Assamese style is available here.
There are multiple wine shops all over the town.
Prasanati tourist lodgephone: +91-9435405806This is a great place to stay. Constructed by Assam tourism development corporation, the complex is located in a huge space on the bank of Jia Bharali river offering excellent mountain and river view. Prices from ₹400 to 2000.
- Divisional Forest Officer, Pakke Wildlife Sanctuary and Tiger Reserve: Seijosa, East Kameng district – 790103, Arunachal Pradesh. Tel: 03778-200016, 200014. Email: email@example.com
- Range Forest Officer, Tipi Wildlife Range: P.O. Tipi, West Kameng district – 790114, Arunachal Pradesh.
- Range Forest Officer, Seijosa Wildlife Range: West Bank, P.O. Seijosa, East Kameng district – 790106, Arunachal Pradesh.