Château-d'ŒxChâteau d'Œx is a ski station in Switzerland near Gstaad and Montreux.
Château-d'Œx is a small village of approximately 3,500 inhabitants in the French-speaking part of Switzerland. In recent years, Château-d'Œx has become increasingly popular among travelers primarily for the village's incredibly authentic Swiss alpine feel, stunning natural surroundings, and quiet atmosphere.
By trainThe of Château-d'Œx has hourly trains to Montreux (1h) and Zweisimmen (50min) via Gstaad (30min) in the Bernese Highlands. The trip will take a bit longer if you happen to take a regional slow train. The train is operated by GoldenPass Montreux-Bernese Oberland (MOB) Railway. Some of the connections are panorama trains or old style 'classic' trains which do not cost extra and are part of the regular timetable.
There is a bus to Col-des-Mosse from where it is possible to join Aigle via another bus to Le Sépey and a train to Aigle, however it is much easier and faster to take the longer route via train passing through Montreux.
By carChâteau-d'Œx is approximately a 2 hour drive from Geneva and a 1 hour and 15 minute drive to Bern. While not directly accessible by a motorway, driving into Château-d'Œx is not difficult. It can be accessed from three different directions. The main road comes in from Spiez (with access to the A6 motorway) and Zweisimmen in the Bernese Highlands and goes on to Aigle (with access to the A9 motorway) near the border to Valais. Another smaller road leads into the canton of Fribourg, to Gruyères and Bulle, where you can join the A12 motorway.
Château-d'Œx is small enough that walking is the easiest and most efficient method of transportation to get anywhere in the village. Château-d'Œx is hilly, however, so any walk may involve a steep hike at one point or another.
phone: +41 26 924 65 20address: Grand Rue 107Has permanent exhibits on the life in the village in past times, but also on local art, notably paintings and paper cuts.
phone: +41 78 723 78 33address: Chemin des Ballons 2This museum showcases the history of hot-air balloons. A highlight is the capsule Breitling Orbiter used by Bertrand Piccard to circumnavigate the globe in 1999.
phone: +41 26 924 22 20See the Alps from a new perspective - from the basket of a hot-air balloon! Available year-round, weather permitting.
- Paraglide. There are numerous take-off points and numerous pilots in the area, allowing you to ride the winds no matter their direction.
- Horseback Riding. Numerous bridle paths wind between Rougemont through Château dŒx to Rossinière.
- Climbing wall. Meet at the Les Moulins to take a climb rain or shine. Tel 924 56 53.
phone: +41 26 924 24 54address: Parc des SportsHead to Bowling du Parc for a good time on the lanes. The centre also offers tennis and ice skating.
- Hiking. With over 300km of marked paths, this regions offers some great opportunities to experience the great outdoors. A walking map with 15 suggested itineraries, labelled with length and difficult, is available around town.
- Hydrospeed. A wild adventure on the river Sarine. Strap on your flippers and float down the river with your head bobbing on the water's surface.
- Canyoning. Suited into an isothermal outfit, you can walk and swim into some of the wildest gorges in the region.
- Canoe or kayak. Paddle around on the lake.
- * phone: +41 79 434 70 89
H2O Experiencephone: +41 79 438 74 51
- * phone: +41 26 924 43 50
La BrayeA rather small ski area right in the village
phone: +41 26 924 66 77address: Route de la gare 2Local cuisine in an old house. Has a cheese-making demonstration on some days from 10:30–12:30.
le Castelphone: +41 26 924 74 77A pub.
Irish Tavernphone: +41 26 924 74 23
le Poulaillerphone: +41 26 924 57 04Cabaret.
La Bambaphone: +41 26 924 52 52Discotheque.
Château-d'Œx has various hotels and traditional Swiss châlets for rent.
phone: +41 26 924 62 34address: Route des Mosses 18
phone: +41 26 924 64 04address: Route des Monnaires 67
Chalet Perce-Neigephone: +41 26 924 69 81address: 1660 Château d'Oex
Restoskiphone: +41 26 924 62 59address: Route des Mosses 104, 1660 La Lécherette
Hotel Beau-Sejourphone: +41 26 924 74 23address: 1660 Château d'OexA 2-star hotel.
phone: +41 26 924 68 79address: Route de la Frasse 57, 1660 Château d'Oex
phone: +41 26 923 77 77address: Place de la Gare, RougemontA 3-star hotel.
Hotel de Communephone: +41 26 925 81 42address: 1659 RougemontA 3-star hotel.
phone: +41 26 924 74 77address: Grand-Rue 70, 1660 Château d'OexA 3-star hotel.
phone: +41 26 924 33 50address: Route des Monnaires 46, 1660 Château d'OexA 3-star hotel.
phone: +41 26 925 80 80address: 1659 RougemontA 4-star hotel.
phone: +41 26 924 60 03address: 1660 Château d'OexA 3-star hotel.
Hotel Elitephone: +41 26 924 52 12address: 1658 RossinièreA 2-star hotel.
- Cabane des Choucas, 1635 meters, tel +41 26 924 79 40.
- Cabane de Ratevel, 1413 meters, tel +41 26 924 78 20.
- Cabane de la Sarouche, 1569 meters, tel +41 26 924 61 40.
- Cabane de la Videmanette, 2120 meters, tel +41 26 924 64 65.
- Les Monts-Chevreuils, 1667 meters, tel +41 26 924 58 61.