HarpendenHertfordshire near the border of Bedfordshire. It is near the city of St Albans and Luton. It is a primarily a residential community, near the outside of the London commuter belt, but if passing through, there are interesting sights and pleasant places to be enjoyed in this town.
By trainHarpenden station is served by First Capital Connect from London St Pancras and Luton Airport Parkway. First Capital Connect also serves Gatwick Airport, but with direct journeys only operating at certain times. At times of limited direct services, it is possible to change at London St Pancras onto another First Capital Connect service northbound towards Bedford.
Local bus companies operate services around the town and connect Harpenden to Luton, St Albans, Welwyn Garden City, Hatfield and other nearby towns, but the most advisable way to navigate Harpenden is on foot.
If you have a lot of luggage or you have a number of people travelling in your party then booking Harpenden Taxis will make the price more affordable.
Rothampsted Manor and Parkwas part of the estate of agricultural scientist Sir John Bennett Lawes. The Rothampsted Experimental Station is still functioning, but it is open to the public to walk through. Nearer the town, the expansive park remains a very pleasant place to spend summer afternoons, equipped with a skate park, tennis courts and a children's play area.
Batford Springs Natural Reserveis another green open area to pass time. There is a river ford, weir and sluice gate - exploring these can be fun for kids.
Harpenden Commonalso home to Harpenden Common Golf Club.
Church Green War Memorial
St Nicholas Churchis the largest church in its parish
- Pizza Express is a short walk from the station, on the edge of the common.
- Prezzo is on Harpenden High Street
- Sazio provides Italian cuisine and is also on the High Street.
- Towards the north of the High Street is 'The Bangkok Lounge', offering very nice Thai cuisine.
- Shapla is on Station Road, and has a nice variety of Indian food.
- Pasta Cibo is a family favourite for many residents, with reasonably priced and delicious home-style Italian cooking, in a warm and welcoming atmosphere.
- The George
- Inn on the Green
- Cross Keys
- Harpenden Arms
- Silver Cup
- If you can get hold of a bicycle and a map (or a desire to explore independently), there are great opportunities for discovering nearby villages such as Kimpton, Peter's Green, Whitwell, Wheathamstead, Redbourn or Flamstead. All of these have more individual small-town feels to them, and often have nice pubs to stop by in.
- Follow the above options for accessing larger towns and cities in the Hertfordshire area.