Sourced from Wikivoyage. Text is available under the CC-by-SA 3.0 license.
Kirov (Russian: Ки́ров KEE-ruhf) is the capital city of Kirov Oblast, Russia.
The population of Kirov is approximately 500,000 people. The city dates back to at least 1374 and was formerly known as Vyatka and Khlynov. It is named after Soviet leader Sergey Kirov who was assassinated on December 1, 1934.
See Russia#Get in for details of getting to Russia.
Kirov Rail StationThe main railway station. All Trans-Siberian trains stop at Kirov-I. Trains from this station connect the city to Moscow (12-14 hours), Saint Petersburg, Nizhny Novgorod, Kazan, Izhevsk, and the Russian Black Sea coast.
Kirov Kotlassky Rail StationA minor station serving trains on the non-electrified railway to points north (Kotlas, Komi Republic).
phone: +7 833 255-15-80There are regular to flights to Moscow, Saint Petersburg, Perm, Nizhny Novgorod, Kazan, Samara, Ufa, and Simferopol.
By busKirov Bus Terminal serves routes to Yoshkar-Ola, Kazan, Naberezhnye Chelny, Syktyvkar, Ufa, Cheboksary, Izhevsk, Ulyanovsk, as well as many towns in Kirov Oblast.
Public transport includes a network of buses, trolleys and marshrutkas. A ride on public transport costs . Route maps can be found online .
TaxiTaxis are plentiful.
address: Spasskaya 15
address: Karla Marksa 70
address: Svobody 67
Kirov Regional Local Lore Museumaddress: Spasskaya 6
- Museum of Paleontology
- Diorama Museum Exhibition Centre
- Regional Museum of History of Public Education
- The Aircraft and Astronautics Museum of K.E. Tsiolkovsky
- Vyatka Kunstkammer Museum
- Railroad Transportation Museum
- Vyatka Paleontological Museum
- Museum of Mikhail Saltykov-Shchedrin
- Modern Art Center 'Gallery Of Progress'
- Museum of Alexander S. Green
- Holy Uspensky Trifonov Monastery
- The Church of Faith, Hope, Love and the Mother Sophia
- The Saviour Cathedral
- Church in Honor of the Mother of God of the Theodore
- Church of Christ the Saviour
- Kirov St. Seraphim Cathedral
- St John the Baptist Orthodox Church
- Alexander Garden
- Dendrologic Park
- Pond near Diorama
- Botanical Garden
- Dvorets Pionerov Memorial Park
- Zarechny Park
- Monument of the Family
- Marshal Konev Monument
- Tank T-34: Monument to the Heroic Work of Residents of Kirov
- A. Afanasyev Kirov Puppet Theater
- The Kirov Regional Drama Theater
Festivals and events
Ice Climbing World CupAnnual competition.
- Igloo Building competition - a team competition for the best snow sculpture in different nominations. It is held in the Fairy-Tale Preserve site in the "Zarechniy "park across the Vyatka River usually in March.
- Greenlandia Festival - a 3-day russian bard music festival that takes place in July every year in Bosharovo not far from Kirov. Alcohol free, kids friendly festival with multiple concerts. Some people camp, some just come for selected concerts.
Local crafts are unique and beautiful:
- Dymkovo toys - a famous local ceramic toy can be found in big shopping centers, in specialized crafts shops (e.g. Vorovskogo 52 or Upita 13) or in the special Dymkovo toy shop on Svobodi 67.
- Matryoshka nesting doll - Kirov is one of the center of Matreshka production. Matreshka from this region (Vyatskaya Matreshka) is inlaid with straw and is exceptionally beautiful and unique.
- Kukarka Lace (aka Vyatka Lace or Kirov Lace) is a type of traditional handmade bobbin weaving and one of the well-known folk Kirov arts. Together with other local crafts made out of straw, woodknobs (nodule), skein, or juniper keep they can be found in the multiple crafts shops around the city.
- "Danar" ("Данар")- is a turkish doner concept. Fresh ingredients from the region, low prices. More than 20 locations around the city.
address: Surikova 19
McDonald'saddress: Vorovskogo 100A
phone: +7 833 240-53-43address: Krasina 10Greek food.
phone: +7 833 240-53-43address: Gertsena 78
address: Karla Marksa 101
address: Gertsena 88Irish pub.
Dostoevsky Hostelphone: +7 (8332) 74-68-40address: Karla Libknekhta St., 93-20Modern hostel with all usual hostel amenities.
phone: +7 (8332) 64-00-17address: Volodarskogo 209
phone: +7 (8332) 54-89-90address: Krasin 1032 rooms. Opened in 2012.
phone: +7-8332-744-700address: Oktyabrskiy 145/1