Trenčín is an old town in Western Slovakia.
It is a beautiful old historic city, with a population of over 50,000.
Trenčín is situated in the north-west of Slovakia, 120 kilometres north of Bratislava, close to the border with the Czech Republic. The main highway from Bratislava to Kosice, which is in some parts still in progress, has a direct exit to the centre of Trenčín. When taking the D1 highway from Bratislava it shouldn't be more than a one hour trip. Traveling by car to Kosice from Trenčín takes about four hours, while Banska Bystrica, which is in the middle of Slovakia, is two hours drive away.
You can take one of the frequent trains from Bratislava to Trenčín, as it is on the national main line. It takes about one hour and forty minutes to reach Trencin from Bratislava. The trip further east to Kosice takes from 3.5 to 4.5 hours depending on which kind of train you take.
Because of the location of Trenčín in relation to other surrounding destinations, it has many buses going through it. The trip to Bratislava from Trenčín takes about two hours (the train is a better option), to Banska Bystrica takes about three hours (a bus is the fastest way) and if you want to travel to Kosice, take the train.
The main station for local buses is across the road from the train station. Tickets can be bought on the bus.
City centre is very small and you can easily walk from one side to another in a few minutes and most of it is pedestrian area.
Trenčín has a rather good public transportation system although not so frequent to a smaller boroughs. Bus drivers sell tickets, but you can only use cash. Ticket is valid only for one journey without change and costs 0,60 € and for baggage larger than 30x40x60 cm 0,25 €. To board you need to use first door.
For schedules and map of routes see imhd.sk (also in English).
- Trenčín Castle (Trenčiansky hrad) - on a rock above the city.
- Executioner's House (Katov dom) - Matúšová Ul. 14.
- Roman inscription from the year 179 (Rímsky nápis) - There's one unique Roman inscription from the year 179 when the Roman legions led by Marcus Aurelius wintered in the settlement then named Laugaricio there. It's written on the castle rock and it's freely accessible from within the Hotel Elizabeth (formerly Hotel Tatra).
- City Gate (Mestská veža) - remaining part of city fortification.
- Synagogue (Synagóga) - build in 1913 is accessible at times of occasional exhibits; with a small worship room in the back of the building.
- The museum of wheels (Múzeum kolies) - exhibits of car wheels made from wood or stone.
- Beckov Castle (Beckovský hrad) - is a local castle ruin. It is easily reachable by bike from Trenčín or by few direct buses from Trenčín or with one change via Nové Mesto nad Váhom.
- Mineral water in Kubrá (Kubranská kyselka) - spring of mineral water located in Kubrá near wood with playground for kids. Easily accessible by foot, car or bus (nr. 7, 11 and 13 from bus stop Kubranská, kyselka).
- Island (Ostrov) - popular recreational place just next to the city centre. Also the venue of annual summer event Splanekor (Splav netradičných korábov - Sailing of unusual ships).
- Pohoda festival - one of the biggest Slovak music events, organized annually in Trenčín Airport.
- Hradza on the Vah
SquashOn the part of the town called “Ostrov”, which is situated on the Vah river, are many choices of sport and leisure activities.
The Sports Indoor Centrephone: +421 32 744 44 47providing many sports including squash
Tennis courtsphone: +421 905 981 257 (mobile)Karpatská ulica, open daily during the summer season.
Tichá uličkaphone: +421 905 626 523 (mobile)
Ostrovphone: +421 908 526 943 (mobile)open daily during the Summer season,
Fitness Gabrhelphone: +421 32 743 15 03Opatovská cesta 676.
Fitness Gabrhelphone: +421 32 640 07 52Gen. Svobodu 1.
Fit Centrum - club - Šnajdrphone: +421 32 743 14 35Mládežnícka.
Body building P + D Jarábekphone: +421 903 220 080 (mobile)Lavičková 3472.
Outdoor swimming poolphone: +421 32 743 27 44Mládežnícka 2.
Outdoor swimming poolphone: +421 32 652 30 74Zlatovská cesta.
Municipal indoor swimming poolphone: +421 32 743 48 13address: Mládežnícka 3
CanoeingThere is possibility to go canoeing on the Vah river during the Summer season. You can also lend canoe at the "Ostrov".
- Cinemax - ZOC MAX, it is a complex consisted of four cinemas in one shopping centre called Max on the Stefanikova street.
- Metro – Cinema in the heart of the city on the main square. They use to play non-commercial movies from different countries worldwide.
- Galeria M. A. Bazovskeho,Palackeho Ulica 27
- Municipal gallery, Mierové námestie 22. Gallery hosts naive and professional artists from Trencin region.
- Trenčín Museum, Mierové námestie 46. Museum is situated just at the beginning of the main square coming from hotel Tatra by the left hand. It is generally presenting the history of Trencin and has nice exposition of animals as well. Music undertakings often provided.
Pohoda Music FestivalThis is the big event that everyone looks forward to. It takes place second weekend of July. Usually starts from Thursday afternoon till Sunday morning. Main programme is planned for Friday and Saturday. Approx. 25 000 people attend event. Mostly camping in tents in the area of former military airport.
Art Film FestInternational movie festival. The Art Film Fest is a competitive International Film Festival. The festival was founded in 1993, it takes place each year at the end of June, in the historical town of Trenčín and the nearby historical spa resort of Trenčianske Teplice.
Shopping centers, Malls
- Max - gen. M.R. Štefánika 426, there are a lot of cafés and small shops, located 1km from the train and bus station.
- Baumax, Big Boxes and Tesco - Električná 911 01 Trenčín, are on the other side of the town. There are some good shops, and also cheap ones. But my recommendation is to go to the square.
- Južanka Shopping Centre - it is located in the part of town which is called “Juh”.
- Laugaricio- the new shopping centre on the outskirt of the city. There are a lot of sport shops and there are also shops with clothes and a lot of cafés and restaurants.
- U Sanera this restaurant is very popular because they are serving huge portions of meal for good price, but they are cooking only Slovak meals
- Gazdovska very popular restaurant in the centre near “Peace Square”
- Cinema Movies Club it is restaurant and dancing club too, advantage is that they are serving meals during the night
- Papa´s Garden located near the fountain of waterman, they are serving meals like Kebab, Gyros and so on...
- Basta this restaurant is located on the place called “Ostrov (island)” and only this one restaurant is opened all day and all night.
- Giacomo Pizzeria typical Italian pizza with everything what belongs to it, they are also serving pasta and salads. This pizzeria is very close to Restaurant U Sanera.
Retro RestaurantVery clean, good service, they have very good meals and the prices are quite good, also every weekend there's live music.
- Restaurant Fatima is on the way up to the Castle, very nice
- The Tatra Hotel is absolutely excellent it has never been out of the top 10 hotels in Slovakia and does an very nice all you can eat breakfast for 150 Kc
Although Trenčín is a small city, there are many places where you can drink. The season begins on Friday and Saturday when many people drive out to centre to undergo some entertainment.
Bars and Pubs
- Life Music small pub with good background, students are meeting there especially on Friday and Saturday
Steps Pub and Cocktail Barlocated near the town tower. High end. Usually no fee during weekends, best sound and light system in town, Drinks are quite expensive in comparison with other pubs in town, but for Westerners still OK. Nobody under 18.
- Cinema Movies Club – very good place for entertainment on Friday and Saturday, during the week it is the restaurant. No entrance fee to disco, drinks are cheaper than Steps and also society is middle class.
Tea RoomsOne big Tea room is located on the Mierové Square opposite to the Church, which is also a shop with tea stuff. There is one very good tea – Tea of Old Touaregs, green tea made from gunpowder.
Čajovňa Jaipur is an oriental themed tea-house on the other side of the clock tower near the tourist info center on Hviezdoslavova 8. It has a pleasant atmosphere and friendly staff, delicious tea, non-alcoholic cocktails and sheesha pipes. They often have live music, and there is a terrace for pleasant evenings.
phone: +421 908 821 174address: Mierové námestie 37The only hostel located in the historical center, right underneath the Trencin castle.
- Penzion u Svorada, Location of this lodging house is in the middle of the Peace square, this is used by low category tourists and also prices are low.
Ostrov campingBasic camping situated near the lake Vah, swimming pool and sport hall are close to that camp. It's good for anglers, fishermen, and people with boats and water scooters.
- Grand Hotel
- Internetova kaviaren, Braneckého 6; Hours: Monday - Friday 9AM - 10PM, 12PM - 10PM.
- Internet Modra linka, Štúrovo námestie 11; Hours: Monday - Saturday: 10AM - 10PM, Sunday: 12PM - 10PM
- Hajex Cafe, Palackého 17; Hours: Monday - Friday: 10AM - 9PM, Saturday: Closed, Sunday: 3PM - 9PM.
- Trenčianske Teplice : very quiet international spa town, many foreign tourists visit this small town
- Beckov old ruins of great castle
- Lešná, near town Zlín in Czech Republic there is very big Zoo, and it is popular because of animals being free in the wild
- Inovec highest hill in mountains around Trenčín with nice panorama view and also good place for skiing